About Urban Lab
The purpose of the initiative is to create an active multidisciplinary research environment for quantitative studies of issues related to cities and urbanization processes. The initiative will largely build on research that combines quantitative methodological competencies from different disciplines with unique geocoded Swedish microdata. Urban Lab is supported by Uppsala municipality and the Chancellor of Uppsala University.
EXAMPLE OF RESEARCH QUESTIONS THAT WILL BE STUDIED WITHIN URBAN LAB
- Why do some cities grow while others shrink? What explains the migration processes? What significance do local labor markets have, and their change, for this understanding?
- Within cities, why do some areas see a positive development while others deteriorate? What are the determinants of: Gentrification of neighborhoods? Segregation in the housing market (in terms of income, education and ethnicity)? Population composition in small geographical areas? The workings of local housing markets (prices, construction, etc)?
- How does urbanization affect economic inequality?
- How does urbanization affect the health of individuals?
- What is the significance of the geographical location during childhood for future outcomes?
- What role does local politics play in local development?
- How do different shocks (like closing of national borders, terrorist attacks, and pandemics) affect individuals’ mobility and location choices?